Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Actively Learning





The Educational Philosophies Self-Assessment gave an accurate assessment of my educational philosophy.  My scores for Progressivism and Humanism were equal and reflect my innate belief in trusting and following the lead of the child.  Children are naturally curious and will immerse themselves in learning when they are engaged in the process of choosing subject matter, setting goals and provided with the proper support.  Education should be dynamic, always seeking to improve the way things are done instead of getting stuck in old patterns.  Children learn best when they are actively involved in the learning process learning to solve problems by thinking critically and testing hypothesis instead of regurgitating definitions from a textbook.  While learning the basics is essential, memorization should be a result of using vocabulary and concepts in experiments and discussions, not the result of hours flipping through flash cards.  I think my classroom will be hands-on offering students freedom to explore concepts and ideas, time to have discussions and to consider different perspectives. 
The test was accurate for me, however, the results could be undefined for those who have a moderate view of many educational philosophies, not tending to have a strong opinion for or against the statements in the assessment.



Although it is important to be aware of our own educational philosophy, I think it is essential to be aware of the educational philosophies of others, particularly the ones we find least appealing.  (educational philosophies…not people)  Although I scored very low in Essentialism, I understand the value of teaching the basics of reading, writing, math and history.  I think it is important for students to have a strong knowledge base.  Without it, they cannot engage in problem solving and critical thinking.  I simply prefer to teach more dynamically, responding to changing times, cultures and students, planning appropriate curriculum tailored to the now.  My art classes include projects that reflect the holidays and traditions of the students I am teaching each year.  I strive to give students the opportunity to learn about one another's cultures and beliefs and to share their own traditions.  If I were assigned to work with a teacher who held and Essentialist view on education, I would look forward to benefiting from the depth of their knowledge about subjects gained from years of focusing on learning and teaching those subjects deeply.  It is much easier to understand who we are than to identify with the educational philosophies in direct opposition to our own.  When we are faced with the reality of working with someone who doesn’t share our beliefs, we need to view it as an opportunity to grow not to prove our superiority.  What better way to model tolerance and appreciation for diversity?  Every student will be different and may respond to some philosophies and teaching styles better than others.  Just because they are not our philosophies does not mean that they do not add value to the classroom.  One of my preschoolers who refuses to enter the pool every week during swim lessons without melting into a puddle of tears spent the entire 45 minute lesson happily participating after being talked into the pool by a substitute instructor.  The regular instructor was shocked.  We should always look for new ways of handling different situations and personalities.  As educators, there will never be enough tools in the toolbox! 

No comments:

Post a Comment