Thursday, September 25, 2014

Why teach in America?



The first two weeks of EDU100 have focused on thinking about why we want to teach, what skills and knowledge we bring to a classroom, what experiences (or lack of experiences) may impact how we teach, the challenges we will face and the assumptions we make about students in our classrooms. 
The more I think about teaching and read about the experience of teachers in the United States, the more I realize that my reasons for teaching need to be intrinsic.  As we read in our textbook, this job doesn’t garner the level of respect that other professions are endowed with and the income is respectable, but we will never get rich.   We can earn the respect of both parents and administrators by acting and dressing professionally and continually improving our knowledge base and teaching skills through lifelong learning endeavors.  I think the reason people choose to teach despite all of it’s challenges is best reflected by the quote posted by Tessa in her blog, Why Teach?:  “I stay because what I've learned in 29 years is that I do have a "real" job -- the most real job there is. It's the one that leads to other jobs, that helps to create good thinkers who go on to be productive in our society, and that supports our community as it grows and times change. My job is one of the ones that matters most.” (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/babs-nichols/why-i-stay-in-teaching_b_4675031.html/ )  Teaching is a calling, a passion, for me it is something I almost feel guilty getting paid to do.  For all we give up by becoming teachers we receive two important gifts: a job we love and the chance to make a difference!
As I was researching education in America I found the infographic posted on this blog examining the relationship between spending on education and results achieved by students in twelve countries.
(http://www.edudemic.com/how-12-countries-spend-education-money-and-if-it-makes-a-difference/) The statistics are disconcerting.  We spend the most money annually per child on education but produce the third and fourth worst results in math and science respectively out of the twelve countries studied.  We spend a lot of time talking about the importance of STEM education and fighting for increases in spending on education, but this article makes me wonder if we need to throw more money at the problem or if we need to look more closely at how we are spending the money we have.  What are countries like Finland doing differently to produce higher performing students at a lower cost? Do you think more money will improve student achievement?  If your school got additional funding how do you think it would best be spent?  Are schools lacking in science, math, gifted and talented or special education programs?  I think our answers are often biased by the needs of people in our family and circle of friends. Should we spend more money on these subjects and narrow pools of students or focus on engaging students in a way that encourages curiosity and a desire to continue learning outside the classroom?  Class time is limited and students need to become self-directed in their learning.  I wonder what would make the biggest difference.  I think our generation of teachers has an obligation to respond to studies like this one with a desire to learn more about what other countries are doing and why it works.  We should be willing to implement strategies that work no matter where they originate.  True professionals in any field are always looking for ways to improve.  I hope we go out into classrooms and do more than teach, I hope we are innovators who make education in America something we can all be proud of!
America is a melting pot.  One of my biggest concerns as an educator is avoiding the trap of conceding to labels given to a child and to make sure I am always trying to understand where a child is coming from culturally, economically, and emotionally.  I think we need to truly know our students and try to understand our students as whole people who have lives, stresses, traditions, interests and obligations outside of our classroom.  We can better serve students when we understand what motivates them and the obstacles to success they face outside our classroom.  I am sure I will often refer to the Never Judge a Child poster I found on Pinterest.  (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/104708760057108304/)
It is a reminder to always approach students with empathy, asking questions rather than making assumptions and trying to understand the why of problem behaviors instead of punishing.  All people want to be successful.  Students don’t wake up planning to fail or misbehave in our classrooms.  They want to excel and graduate.  Let’s try to always see the good in our students even when they can’t.

This module has given me an opportunity to acknowledge the challenges and rewards of teaching and further cemented my decision to become a teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment